Saturday, December 10, 2005

Embraced


hug
Originally uploaded by jeremysullivan.

Since returning home I have felt embraced by the people around me...both figuratively and literally. A reality of being transient is that hugs are few and far between. So when I came home I soaked up the loving from everyone around me, especially the unexpected ones.

One of the "Old Timers" in the neighborhood who hangs out in front of our house was in jail when I left back in May. So it had been almost a year since I had seen him. When I saw him the first morning I was back he hugged me dead on, then stepped back saying "Ahh man" and hugged me again about 5 times.

When I walked into work on Monday morning, my boss got up from his chair embraced me and said, "Glad to have you back."

I even noticed a difference in the way my loved ones hugged me. It seemed like everyone held me for an extra second, as if to internalize the reality that I've physically returned and I'm in one piece.

Don't tell my brother and sisters, but I noticed my grandma gave me a bigger hug than them when I went home for Thanksgiving.

4 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Kristine Socall said...

Hi Jeremy,

I met your mom here in Willowcreek-land awhile back and am just now getting around to checking out your blog. What timing too! We're hosting the Psalters here at our house on Monday night for a concert and I see you're part of Camden house...I plan on being at PAPA this summer, so maybe our little community here can meet yours!

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Scott Stevens said...

Yo VIp new of the colonies

Just wanted to say love ya lots and ya always on my mind,
And the hood ,
I’m studying at uni, doing a Cambridge course on teaching English as a foreign language.
I haven’t studied in 10 years? So it’s a long road
I’ve still been on the meds for what ever happened to me? Trying to come off the sleeping pills and wine at the moment.dam they felt good.
Anyway still feels dam good to be a gangster!!
scotty

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger kbayne said...

I just stumbled onto your blog today, and I can't stop smiling! I've missed so much -- thanks for writing it all down so I can go back and read about your expereince.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger andreaferich said...

hey jeremy~ your picture still hangs in the church basement. you will always be with us here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home